Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Killer beef

Last night we had Killer Beef for dinner. I talked about it here and mentioned why this dish is called Killer Beef. It's a very silly reason really, but the name has stuck and now whenever The Boy wants this dish, that's what he asks for.

We still haven't gone grocery shopping yet, so we continue to scrounge through the pantry and fridge for food to cook for dinner. That's not necessarily a bad thing because it's making us diligent about using up what we have and not building up an excess of stock. It also keeps things fresh and pre-expiry date.

Anyway, back to the dish ... this is really a one-pot dish. Veggies, meat and rice all in one. Very easy to cook and very tasty.


Here's the RECIPE for it:

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 600gms beef strips / bite size pieces (can use steak cut up)
  • 2 cups broccoli florets in bite size pieces
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon hot chilli sauce
  • 1 packet Lipton Onion gravy soup mix
  • I large packet brown rice (cooked)

Instructions:
  • Heat wok or frying pan and put in olive oil to heat
  • Put in steak pieces and brown , remove from pan
  • Put in remaining ingredients, except rice and bring to boil, simmer for 2 minutes
  • Put steak back into pan
  • Add rice into pan, continue to heat for a few minutes, or until liquid reduces
  • Remove from pan and serve

Because I'm running down the fridge and The Boy had a craving for veggies, I made an extra large serve and threw in a few more veggies that I normally would.


I used an entire head of broccoli, as well as a carrot and an onion. Surprisingly, this dish does not call for garlic, so I didn't use any, although it felt a bit weird cooking without garlic.

I also added a little extra soy sauce for flavor since I had a bit more rice than usual and all those extra veggies.


I had some chicken mince in the freezer that I found, which has been there for I don't know how long, so I decided to throw that in too. I cooked the chicken mince first, removed it from the pan and then cooked the beef. With the beef, I did not cook it all the way through, just gently browned it, since later on, it will cook a little more when the rice is added and you don't want to over cook the beef and have it tough. You want your beef to stay tender.

The other thing to note also is that I'm about to run out of the Lipton Onion gravy soup mix and I can't get it where I am. I think that when I'm out, I'll most likely switch to a locally available onion soup mix of some sort, either Continental or some similar brand, probably in the French Onion flavor.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny’s Fortunes Pty Ltd

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete