Thursday, May 31, 2012

Easy cheaty cheesy nachos


Our microwave is still not back from repair yet though the stove and oven are now working. I'm still not cooking much because we just don't have anything to warm up the leftovers - yes, I know, I can use the stove or the oven to warm up the food, but ...

Tonight, I'm having a couple of friends over - the Best Bud and his wife. I decided that I wanted to make nachos and The Boy said, why don't we invite the Best Bud and his wife? So yes, the Best Bud and his wife are coming over for nachos. That's it ... just nachos. It's something simple I throw together and I'm not making a big fuss. Something yummy and hanging out with my chummies. :-)

Please bear in mind, as the title suggests, these are easy, cheaty, cheesy nachos. Focus here is on the easy and the cheaty.

Here's what I do:

Guacamole

Ingredients:
  • 2 avocados of the appropriate ripeness
  • 1/2 onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 juice of lemon
  • Pinch of salt

Instructions:
  • Scoop avocado out of the skin and remove seed.
  • Mash up with a fork in a bowl.
  • Squeeze in lemon juice and mix.
  • Mix through diced onion.
  • Mix through salt - adjust to taste. 
  • Refrigerate until you are ready to use. 


The Easy Cheaty Cheesy Nachos

Ingredients:
  • 2 large bags of Doritos chips (I use the Cheese Supreme flavor)
  • 2 cups of shredded tasty cheese
  • 3 large cans of Stagg® Dynamite Hot® chili with bean
  • 1 tub (or 2) of sour cream (you can use light if you prefer)

Instructions:
  • Heat up the cans of Stagg® Dynamite Hot® chili with bean in a large pot.
  • On large, flat dinner plates, lay out one layer of the Doritos chips, slightly overlapping (you can layer it more if you like).
  • Put a layer of the shredded cheese (be generous) all over the layer of Doritos chips.
  • Once the Stagg® Dynamite Hot® chili with bean is hot, scoop it up layer them over your plate on top of the cheese and Doritos chips - make sure you divide the chili evenly between all the plates (and the number of people you are serving).
  • Then put a large scoop of the guacamole in the middle of the plate on top of the chili.
  • Add a large dollop of sour cream on top of the guacamole.
  • Serve and enjoy.

This recipe will serve 4 adults generously.

What makes this recipe so incredibly tasty is that instead of using plain Doritos or corn chips, which is what most people or restaurants use, I use the Cheese Supreme (or you can use the Nacho Cheese) flavor chips. This adds to the extra cheesiness of the taste, that and gobs and gobs of shredded cheese.

See what I mean about the recipe being easy and cheaty? If I was not cheating, I'd make the chili from scratch but seriously, that Stagg stuff is really tasty and I really like it. I'm not diligent enough to want to make the chili from scratch in this instance. I will, however, make the chili from scratch when I do Chili Con Carne and I've got a fabulous recipe for that from the Mother-In-Law. The Boy loves Chili Con Carne in the Winter with fresh bread, so if I do that this Winter, I'll write about it.



© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment