Thursday, July 12, 2012

Prawn and gorgonzola risotto ... in the Thermomix


Tonight I had intended to write a post about my crustless spinach quiche only to discover that I had already done it previously and just forgotten that I forgot that I did it. Duh me!

On top of that, my mid-week post is late since it's already Thursday night. Sorry 'bout that. Very slack of me. I have no excuses. I've just been hiding away in The Apartment amusing myself and passing time watching videos while The Boy has been away for work and missing him terribly.

The Boy came home tonight. Yay!

So ... instead, I thought I'd post yet another risotto recipe and yes, again, this one is done in the Thermomix, but really, if you follow the instructions in my basic risotto recipe being made the traditional way, you can easily modify the recipe to do this.

The Boy loves this dish and we often serve it as a starter for dinner parties. It's simply delicious, especially if you love prawns and gorgonzola.

A word of advice, the saffron adds a lot. I once didn't have any saffron and ran out to Cole to buy some cheap Masterfoods saffron. It didn't taste nearly as good. If you can, try to get some good quality saffron. I'm very fortunate, a very good friend (and one of my boys) is Iranian and each time he goes back to Iran, I have him bring me back some mondo premium saffron for me to cook with. I definitely recommend a friend like that. Spanish saffron is pretty good too and definitely much better that the crap they sell at Coles, but in a pinch, that will have to do.

Here's the RECIPE for the risotto:

Ingredients
  • ½ onion
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • Handful of fresh basil
  • 40g Olive oil
  • 300g Arborio rice
  • 80g white wine
  • 4 tsp chicken stock
  • 2 pinch of saffron
  • 1 litre of hot water
  • 10 king prawns shelled, without tails
  • 80g Gorgonzola
  • 10 cherry tomatoes
  • 2 handfuls of baby spinach

Instructions
  • Chop onion, garlic and basil together Speed 6, 3 – 5 seconds, scrape sides
  • Add olive oil and sauté at 100 degrees for 2 minutes
  • Put in butterfly
  • Add Arborio rice and wine wine, sauté for 2 minutes at Reverse speed 1, 100 degrees
  • Add stock, hot water mixed with saffron, set time to 13 minutes, Reverse speed 1, 100 degrees
  • After 13 minutes, add prawns, cook at 100 degrees for 2 minutes, Reverse speed 1
  • Add tomatoes and gorgonzola (crumbled) cook at 100 degrees for 1 minute, Reverse speed 1
  • To serve, add 2 handfuls of baby spinach to bottom of thermoserver, then pour in risotto. Cover and rest for 5 minutes, then serve


I don't vary this recipe at all though I would be careful of the use of the gorgonzola. The gorgonzola is very strong, so if you don't like too strong a flavor ease off on the amount used and as a rule, try not to use more than the recommended amount in the recipe.

Oh and you don't need salt as the gorgonzola will provide plenty of saltiness to taste but you might want to season with pepper.

I often serve this on a bed of rocket for the spiciness of the leaves rather than spinach.

Enjoy!

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment