Sunday, December 9, 2012

Smashed avocado and feta on toast with tomato salad and smoked salmon


We're up at The House for the weekend and when we're up here, The Boy likes to get the weekend paper, sit and read the paper with a cup of coffee. It's something that he truly enjoys.

Very often, when he reads through the lifestyle sections of the paper, he'd pull out any recipes that sound interesting to him and suggest I make them. I confess, I don't often do but the recipe he pulled out this weekend sounded like the perfect meal for a dinner to me. In reality, this would also make a lovely weekend breakfast dish but we had it for dinner instead because we're crazy like that. :-)

The thing I love about this recipe is that there is no cooking involved and it's super easy to make. You just need to make sure you have all the ingredients and that it's thrown together quickly.

Here's the RECIPE for our meal.

Ingredients:
  • 1 ripe avocado, halved and stoned
  • 1 tbs dill, finely chopped
  • 1 tbs mint leaves, chopped
  • Sea salt and pepper
  • 1 tbs lime or lemon juice
  • 100g feta cheese, crumbled
  • Half a red onion, finely sliced
  • 100g cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 slices of thick toast
  • 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
  • Extra dill or mint for serving
  • 200g smoked salmon

Instructions:
  • Roughly chop the avocado with a fork, but don't make it completely mushy. Place into a bowl with chopped dill, mint, salt, pepper and lime or lemon juice. Put in the crumbled feta and lightly toss it all together. Check the taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary.
  • Put the cut tomatoes in bowl and add the sliced red onion to it. Mix with the olive oil, salt and pepper.
  • Take the smoked salmon out of the package and place onto the plate.
  • Toast the bread and brush the toasted bread with butter or olive oil.
  • Place bread on the plate and top with the avocado and feta mix, then add the tomato salad on top.
  • Serve and enjoy!

This is a very simple meal to pull together and also very nutritious and tasty.

I didn't use any salt in the avocado and feta since the feta itself it quite salty but I used a fair bit of pepper because I like my pepper.

I also didn't crumble the feta like the recipe said, instead I just chopped it up into small pieces (about the size of my little fingernail) with a knife since the feta I used was not crumbly and quite hard.

Instead of cherry tomatoes, I also used grape tomatoes. I generally prefer grape tomatoes to cherry tomatoes since I think they are a little sweeter and also to me they taste more tomato-ey.

Half a red onion is a lot of onion so 1 only used 1/4 of an onion. If you really really like your onion, you can certainly use half the onion but then you would have more onion than tomato.


The Boy had his on toast, while I just had mine on its own without the toast. I was trying to be good and going a little carb free for the evening since I'm been a little carb crazy the last couple of weeks and I really need to cut back on it. My downfall is the steamed Chinese BBQ pork buns!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe. It's a fabulous summer dish since it's a very cool dish. We had a hot day up in The House last night, so this lovely cool dinner dish really suited us.

ps. I also just realised that it's been over month since my last post and for that I apologise. I've got another one lined up, which I hope I'll get up shortly.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd

No comments:

Post a Comment