Thursday, March 31, 2016

Healthy, crispy air fryer French Fries with very little oil ... can be done in the oven too


So here's the thing. We love fries. We particularly love fries with steak, or rather The Boy does and I love sweet potato fries. Just love fries, but deep frying is not always the healthiest thing to do with food, is it? All that oil. Although, I've been told by my cheffy friends that if you lift the food out of the oil immediately, drain the oil well and not let it sit in the oil, it's actually not too bad for you. Point taken, but I think where I can, I'll go for the less oil option, just to be a tad bit healthier. Lord knows, I'm not the healthiest when it comes to my eating habits!

We've been experimenting with our fries a lot lately because we have not been wanting to buy frozen fries from the grocery store, again healthier, less additives!

Recently, we also bought an air fryer and I've been loving it. I had hesitated over it for a very, very long time, hemming and hawing about it, not sure if I'd use it enough. Turns out, I use it lots. It's excellent for not only fries and spring rolls, but all sorts of cooking too, but more on that later.

Here's what I did with my air fryer to make probably the best fries I've ever made. Bear in mind, this can be done in the oven too but that might take a little bit longer.



Ingredients:

  • Potatoes (I use Desiree, but use whatever you like)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon corn starch
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt (more if you like salt)
  • 1 teaspoon Masterfoods Season All


Instructions:

  • Peel and cut up your potatoes into strips like fries. I go with about the size of my pinky finger and make them as long as possible. Buy longer / bigger potatoes for long fries.
  • Soak the potatoes in water with a squeeze of lemon juice for about 30 minutes to an hour. This will remove the starch from the potatoes.
  • Remove potatoes from water and towel dry.
  • Turn on air fyrer and preheat to 180°C.
  • Put potatoes and all seasonings into a big bowl and toss rigorously until all the potatoes are evenly coated with oil and seasoning.
  • Put seasoned potatoes into air fryer basket.
  • Cook at 180°C for 15 minutes.
  • Pull out air fryer. Shake potatoes around, cook again for another 10 minutes at the same temperature.


For the oven:

  • If you don't have an air fryer and are using an oven, lay out your potatoes flat, in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with tin foil. You may need more than one baking sheet depending on how many potatoes you use.
  • Put the potatoes / baking sheets into the oven at 180°C for about 20 minutes.
  • Take the baking sheets out of the oven and turn all the potato pieces. Yes, you do need to turn all of them to make sure they cook evenly.
  • Put it back into the oven and cook for another 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, check to see if they are cooked.
  • If they are, remove and serve. If they are not. Put back in for another 10 minutes and repeat until the potatoes are crispy fries.


There you have it. Healthy, crispy fries. Tasty too, especially if you load up on the seasoning, which I like to do.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment