Thursday, November 24, 2016

Cocktail sauce ... with doTerra lemon essential oil


It's been a while since I've done a foodie post, my apologies. For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you'll know life has been rather hectic and fraught of late since we had The Boy's father in the hospital for a few times. Fortunately, he is well now and we are home.

And the best part? I've started cooking again.

Okay, this is not much cooking but The Boy really likes a cheese platter with cold meats for a late lunch. It has been our go-to on a hot afternoon (and it's been really hot here!!).

The platter usually consists of a few slices of cheese, some cured meat, either prosciutto or salami, some rock melon and most recently, the addition of freshly cooked and chilled prawns. With the prawns comes a need for a good cocktail sauce and The Boy has not liked the store bought ones, so I've started making my own.




This one is super simple to make and it will keep in the fridge for a while if you put it in an airtight jar.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 65g (1/4 cup) whole-egg mayonnaise
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) tomato sauce
  • 60ml (1/4 cup) thickened cream
  • 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce
  • 5 drops doTerra lemon essential oil or 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

Instructions:

  • Combine mayonnaise,tomato sauce, cream, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco sauce in a bowl. Season with pepper. Cover.
  • Place in the fridge for 1 hour to develop the flavours.

You'll notice I've used some doTerra lemon essential oil in the sauce. I do this for two reasons. (1) It gives the sauce a nice zing to it, and (2) the essential oil blends well with the sauce and will not separate. It also means the sauce will keep better. Oh, that would be (3). :-)

Depending on how much zing you like in your sauce, you can adjust the number of drops of doTerra lemon essential oil and the Sriracha chili sauce. The recipe above gives a milder flavor but it's still tasty. We like a bit more zing, so I think I ended up using 2 tablespoons of Sriracha chili sauce and 10 drops of lemon essential oil.

You will notice I specify the doTerra essential oil. This is because the doTerra oils are very high quality and they are what I like to call food grade. You can ingest these oils and they are good for you. Not harmful at all. I would not do that with any other generic, run of the mill, no name essential oil. Even some that claim they are ingestible you should be careful of. The only other brand I can recommend you use is Young Living. I'm told their oils are ingestible too and I have a friend who uses them and loves them. I personally prefer the doTerra oils.

If you do not have the doTerra essential oil, you can also use fresh lemon juice. If you do that, be careful how much you use and perhaps start with half or one tablespoon and then add more to adjust to your taste. Again, how much lemon juice you use depends on how much zing you like in the taste of your sauce.

Good luck with making it. I hope you enjoy this sauce.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment