Sunday, March 5, 2017

Paleo Irish stew


I've had a hankering for some stew and something slow cooked for a while now. This summer has been so hot it's been prohibitive to cook anything in the oven without us expiring from the heat. Mostly we've been eating salads and cold dishes or something that is quick to cook on the stove. I was missing those hearty meals. Now that it's gotten a little cooler I decided a stew was in order.


I recently got a new cookbook One-Pot Paleo by Jenny Castaneda and I love one pot meals. I found the Irish stew recipe in it and decided to give it a shot.

One thing to note, the recipe calls for potatoes. I read in Paleo Leap (a great website BTW) that potatoes in limited quantities are ok so I went with it. However, talking to a paleo expert friend of mine, he explained the skin of potatoes have anti-nutrients and inflammatory so should be consumed in small quantities and if possible, it's preferred to skin the potatoes. I skinned the potatoes. 

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
  • 340g bacon, cut into 2" strips
  • 450g chuck roast, cubed
  • Sea salt
  • Black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder
  • 225 baby carrots
  • 115g parsnips, cubed
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 225g pearl onions
  • 225g button mushrooms
  • 375ml hard cider (or Guinness if you want to be authentic and non-paleo)
  • 375 beef broth
  • 340g baby potatoes, peeled and halved

Instructions:
  • In a Dutch oven pan over medium-high heat, add the bacon and fry until crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside. The remaining ingredients will be fried using the bacon fat produced so don't drain it.
  • Generously season the beef with sea salt and black pepper. Evenly coat the beef with arrowroot powder. Fry it for 2 minutes until browned. Remove and set aside.
  • Fry the carrots and parsnips for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. Next fry the red onions and pearl onions for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. Lastly, fry the mushrooms also for 2 minutes and set aside.
  • Drain the excess oil from the pan and pour in the hard cider. Once it starts to simmer, deglaze the bottom of the pan. Return all the previously fried ingredients back into the pan. Add the beef broth and bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat to low. Cover and let it simmer for 1 hour. Add the potatoes and simmer for another 45 minutes. Potatoes are cooked once they can be pierced with a fork.
  • Spoon into bowls and serve hot.

The dish turned out super tasty and I had lots of leftovers which I will freeze. They are great to pull out on a day when I don't want to cook and need something quick and tasty. 

I also cheated a little bit. Instead of the hard cider, I went a little bit more authentic and used a can of Guinness. Not paleo but tasty.

The Boy absolutely loved this dish. I think he commented on how tasty it was about five or six times while eating. That always makes me happy since I mostly cook for him and I like when he enjoys the food.

If you do make this, be sure to post pictures for me to see either on Instagram - be sure to tag me with @langshipley or on my Daz In The Kitchen Facebook page.

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd


Find me around SOCIAL MEDIA:
blogger  blogger  rss  facebook  twitter  instagram  email  youtube  pinterest  google+  goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment