Saturday, September 8, 2012

Simple but delicious chicken pot pie


First of all, I apologize for the once a week posts lately but I just haven't cooked as much the past couple of weeks and also doing some repeat meals of some of The Boy's favorites. Minimally, I try to do something at least over the weekend.

Tonight I decided to drag out an old, old recipe for chicken pot pie that I had not made in a very long time. I originally got this recipe from a dear friend of mine who is a wiz in the kitchen. She was visiting and staying with me and whenever she visits, I always take advantage (yes, I know, naughty!) and have her do a lot of the cooking because she is an awesome cook. One evening we thought we'd have chicken pie and she came up with the recipe for this chicken pot pie. I've loved it ever since.

Here's the RECIPE for the pie:

Ingredients:
  • 4 pieces of chicken thigh fillet
  • 1 small head of broccoli
  • 1 stick of celery
  • 1 small carrot
  • 2 small white onions
  • 1 can of Campbell's condensed chicken / chicken & corn / chicken & mushroom soup
  • Small amount of flour

For topping:
  • 1 cup Bisquick
  • 1 egg (beaten)
  • ½ cup of milk

Instructions:
  • Cut chicken and vegetables into bite size pieces
  • Dip chicken in some flour and cover
  • Lightly fry chicken in oil until cooked until browned
  • Lightly fry vegetables until cooked
  • Mix chicken and vegetables in together
  • Pour in condensed soup, mix well and cook
  • Add salt and pepper to flavor

For topping:
  • Mix the bisquick, egg and milk together
  • Put chicken pie mix into pie dish or individual bowls
  • Cover with bisquick mixture
  • Put into over at 180dC for approximately 20 minutes or until golden brown on top

This recipe makes 2 large individual pot pies and 2 small individual pot pies.

I wasn't in the mood for the broccoli and celery and decided to go with a bag of frozen mixed vegetables instead, plus one brown onion, diced. I ended up using about two cups of the frozen vegetables which is a mix of peas, corn and carrots. Other than that, everything else was pretty much done to the recipe.

The Boy loved it and even said that the chicken pot pie was exactly how a chicken pot pie should taste. :-)

© This work is copyrighted to Invest-Ex and Destiny's Fortunes Pty Ltd




No comments:

Post a Comment